Your private boutique escape
About Mt Hay Retreat
About Mt Hay Retreat
Unique, private and ultra exclusive, Mt Hay Retreat is a boutique escape in Berry on the NSW South Coast that is, quite simply, second to none. With only a handful of individual suites to choose from, each is filled with natural light and has been designed as your own private escape.
Dominated by breathtaking views and offering a secluded and peaceful sanctuary well away from the cares and complexities of contemporary life, it is still only minutes from the heart of world famous Berry Village.
Serenely set on 360 acres against the majestic backdrop of Broughton Head, this magnificent property is a working farm embraced by native bushland, lush green pastures and beautiful gardens.
With views that stretch uninterrupted across the rolling hills of the South Coast and beyond to the distant ocean horizon, Mt Hay Retreat is a lifestyle destination of rare distinction.
Mt Hay Retreat is exclusively for guests aged 18 and over.
In the Press
- NSW Regional Tourism Awards 2019 – Luxury Accommodation Gold Award
- TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2017, 2018 and 2019 and Travellers Choice Best of The Best 2021
- Eat, Live, Escape – Escape: Spectacular Views, Luxury Accommodation and Stunning Location
- Baby Mac – Cheeky Midweek Escape to Mt Hay Retreat,
- Melissa Wilson – A solo Midweek Escape Saved me from Burnout
- How To Escape Sydney For Some Winter Romance – Mr and Mrs Romance
- Signature Luxury Travel – Mt Hay Retreat – Award Winning Luxury Accommodation
- SeeTasteDo – Things to See, Taste and Do at Mt Hay Retreat.
- Travel and Beyond – Unwrapping the Shoalhaven – Berry and Beyond
- Town and Country Magazine – Retreat to the Country
- The Conscious Consumer – Berry: Getaway from the city and back to nature.
- Little Grey Box – Travel Awards 2016
- Little Grey Box: My Unforgettable Escape to Mt Hay Retreat
- Style Magazine Article: Best Baths with a View
- You The World Wandering Video
- Braidwood Times – Retreat to the Countryside
- Little Grey Box” 12 Awesome things you absolutely must do in Berry
- The Contented Traveller
- Trust the Tick – Quality Tourism Australia
- Kayak 2021 Travel Awards
Set against the dramatic backdrop of Broughton Head, Mt Hay lies in a protected escarpment area so nature and wildlife are a part of everyday life. At Mt Hay we have a simple and driving ethos – to look after Mt Hay for future generations by allowing others to enjoy this distinctive and extraordinary place.
We believe that we have a duty of care to maintain this special place and an obligation to do our upmost to minimise our impact on the broader environment so that it is sustained for future generations.
As a working farm, we understand the impact of humans on the environment and we are committed to sustainable and responsible habits and behaviours at all times. Along with recycling and responsible and sustainable energy management, we are constantly working to reduce our potential impact on this beautiful place.
We aim to achieve continual environmental improvement through implementing an environmentally aware management system with objectives and targets to minimise our environmental footprint.
Our suites were designed and built using sustainable principles that extend to include the native landscaping and gardens that surround them – offering year-round colour and diverse habitat for the native birds and wildlife that also call Mt Hay home. These gardens help cool us in summer and protect us from bracing winds in winter.
Native wildlife that can be seen on the farm includes wombats, protected Brush Tailed Rock Wallabies, Echidnas, Lyre birds, Kookaburras, Wedge Tailed Eagles, Black Cockatoos and many, many more, including our very own herd of Cows, Goats, Chickens and Dougal our tickle loving Irish Setter.
We welcome any thoughts you may have on how we can improve the impact we have on this special environment. We hope that this beautiful escape will allow you to relax and refresh.
WHAT OUR GUESTS SAY
Mt Hay is an extremely well thought out luxury accommodation, making the most of its geography. The individual villas are sited on the edge of the escarpment affording beautiful views to enjoy at all times of day, and each one is private. Our hosts were most attentive to our needs and we were very appreciative of the opportunity to recharge our EV. We stayed in the Escarpment Villa with the internal bath which worked well for us. The villa was exceedingly comfortable, clean and decorated tastefully. I well and truly recommend Mt Hay Retreat for couples wishing for a luxury break away.